Who We Are
Dartmouth North Community Food Centre is a project of Dartmouth Family Centre.
A Community Food Centre (CFC) is a welcoming space where people come together to grow, cook, share and advocate for good food. CFCs provide people with access to high-quality food in a dignified setting that doesn’t compromise their self-worth. People learn cooking and gardening skills there, and kids get their hands dirty in the garden and kitchen in ways that expand their taste buds and help them to make healthier food choices. Community members find their voices on the issues that matter to them, and people find friends and support. CFCs offer multifaceted, integrated, responsive and prevention-focused programming in a shared space where food builds health, hope, skills and community.
The Dartmouth North Community Food Centre is a partner site of Community Food Centres Canada (CFCC), a national organization that’s driving the development of CFCs across the country. Along with other Community Food Centres in communities across Canada, the Dartmouth North Community Food Centre is helping to increase access to healthy food for low-income Canadians while proving that food can be a transformative force in our communities. For more on this national project, visit www.cfccanada.ca.
Dartmouth Family Centre promotes the healthy development of families and communities by:
- providing resources and activities that support the parent-child relationship.
- bringing people together to grow, cook, share and advocate for good food and a healthy and fair food system.
- providing opportunities to develop supportive relationships with other families and community members.
- advocating for changes to the societal conditions that impede the well-being of families and communities.
What We Believe:
- Community members come to the Family Centre and Food Centre with a variety of experiences and strengths.
- Community members know what’s best for them; they have the right to decide what opportunities to participate in and how often to participate.
- Community members know best whether or not their participation has been meaningful.
Dartmouth Family Centre and Dartmouth North Community Food Centre aim to be aware of the interests of community members in an effort to provide opportunities for meaningful participation. Above all, every opportunity for community members to participate is a chance to develop relationships with staff and other participants.